Here are some common ways that burglars target homes:
- There is no alarm system. This ensures the burglar they will not have to deal with being videotaped or setting off an alarm during the robbery.
- Your home is on the corner. This is a convenient place for the home to be positioned, because there are several routes that can be taken to get away from the home after the robbery is complete.
- You have a lot of locks. This convinces the burglar that your home might have something worth taking.
- You live on an alley. This is a common target for burglars because they can quickly get away with no one to see them.
- You drive a fancy car and leave it outside. This shows signs of wealth, so they begin to wonder what else you may have inside.
- You have hired help. Sometimes mistreated hired help will tell burglars your personal information to reap some of the profits.
- The landscape hides your home. This gives the burglar numerous places to hide, especially at night.
- You don’t have a dog. Many burglars will pass up a house for fear of being attacked by a dog. If they know you don’t have a dog they’ll feel more comfortable moving freely through your home.
- You work on a predictable schedule. Burglars watch your home before they attempt to break in. It makes it easier for them to do so if they know you are not home during the day.
- You post online about going on vacation. This is like an open invitation for someone to come and break into your home because you are telling hundreds of people that you won’t be there.
The best way to protect your home is with a home security system. This is a guaranteed way to make sure there is at least video footage in case a disaster does occur. Avoid being a target by making sure you do not broadcast yourself as an easy victim.